Today I have a real treat for you, Asparagus and Pea Risotto made in the Instant Pot! It is a recipe from the gorgeous new Simply Vegetarian Cookbook: Fuss-Free Recipes Everyone Will Love by my friend Susan Pridmore.
Susan is an extremely talented food writer and recipe developer and the talent behind The Wimpy Vegetarian food blog. Her first cookbook (and definitely not her last!) is a wonderful collection of recipes that everyone will enjoy, even non-vegetarians. The dishes are so tasty that you won’t even notice that there is no meat in them!
I made her Asparagus and Pea Risotto and used my Instant Pot. It was so easy and fast – and NO stirring!! It smelled so good that it was hard to resist and not grab spoon after spoon before I got the photos taken, LOL.
Many of her recipes are gluten-free or easily adaptable. She is very aware of allergies and notates each recipe for simple identification of safe dishes.
I can’t wait to make these other recipes from the cookbook too: Mexican Taco Bowl, Baked Sweet Potato Latkes, Southwest Layered Salad, Open-Faced Mediterranean Egg Salad, and Spanish Paella. Susan covers a world of cuisines! Which would you make first?
No matter what else you have on your calendar, be sure you pre-order Susan’s book today!! The book comes out next week and you’ll have it in no time!
Have a wonderful weekend!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 bundle asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups risotto rice, such as Arborio
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetarian broth
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- Select the sauté function on an electric pressure cooker. Melt the butter in the inner cooking pot, and stir in the onion. Sauté for 3 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Stir 3/4 cup of the asparagus and all of the rice into the pot, and toss to completely coat.
- Sauté for 2 minutes, and pour in the wine. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, stirring to scrape the sides of the pot. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Lock the lid in place. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When the cooking is complete, allow a natural release for 5 minutes, and then perform a quick release. Remove the lid.
- The risotto will have a layer of liquid on top. Add the remaining asparagus, the peas, and Parmesan cheese, and stir with a large spoon for about 30 seconds until creamy.
- Serve immediately, topped with the parsley.
- Make It Slower: To use the slow cooker instead, melt the butter and combine with the rice in the slow cooker to completely coat. Add the onion, wine, broth, salt, and pepper, and stir. Cook on low for 2-1/2 hours, then add the asparagus and peas. Cook for 30 more minutes, and stir in the Parmesan cheese until creamy. Top with the parsley.
- Yield: 6 servings
Create a New Tradition Today!
Really lovely! It went together quickly and tasted very good. Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed the risotto Nancy, I loved it too and the whole cookbook is packed with great recipes!!
I can’t wait to try this recipe. I am a risotto fanatic and I have never made it in the instant pot before!
You will love the results Michelle, so easy and no stirring while it cooks! Just a quick stir at the end and the rice is beautifully creamy and delicious!!
It turned out beautifully!!!! What a delicious photo!! I was so excited to find how easy it was to make risotto in my IP. Thank you so much for your kind words!!!!
This is a winner Susan – so easy and delectable! The Instant Pot makes it fast with no stirring, anyone can make risotto with this recipe!