I am pleased to introduce you to Chris and Rachel Keenan, the talents behind The Keenan Cookbook. Together with their adorable son Baby Boy, they built their site as a way to organize their family recipes. No more slips of paper and index cards for these guys! In addition to a fantastic array of recipes, their photographs are some of my favorites and inspire me daily. Make sure you go Here to see a photo of the cutest little guy in the world!
The Keenan Cookbook is a collection of their favorite recipes, special ones they have found on other food blogger sites, and the best meals from friends and neighbors. If you tend to fall into a rut and make the same meals day after day, check in every Thursday – the Keenan’s host Taste Test Thursdays. Each week they pick a recipe from a new food blog and feature it on their site. There is something for everyone and a terrific way to meet new people to follow!
Thank you to Chris and Rachel for sharing this wonderful recipe. Happy Festive Friday everyone!!
Hi everyone! I’m Chris from The Keenan Cookbook, where I co-host with my wife Rachel. We cook, I write, she photographs, and together we enjoy. We were delighted when Jane asked us to share a guest post on this Festive Friday.
I’ll be honest, we racked our brains on what to make and share with you for Festive Friday. It’s the end of a work week, so should we indulge in some decadent chocolate dessert? (I’m a non-recoverable chocoholic, FYI) Or perhaps some comfort food before settling down on the couch for the night, curled up under a blanket watching a movie?
Ultimately, the weather helped us make our decision. It’s been so gorgeous here in NJ that we wanted to eat something fresh and exciting. Something that would wake up our taste buds with that same refreshing feeling we got when we walked outside each afternoon for a walk. This Orange and Onion Salad did just that!
This is a super simple recipe with a great, refreshing taste. We had it as an appetizer right after we returned from a nice walk around town with our – almost 1 year old!! – Baby Boy and it hit the spot! If you’re as ready for Spring to arrive as we are, have a bite of this salad to evoke the freshness of Spring in your mouth.
Thanks again to Jane for letting us guest post and share this delicious recipe with you!
- 4 oranges
- 1 red onion, cut into paper-thin slices
- 1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Black olives for garnish
- Peel the oranges, carefully removing all the white membranes. The easiest way to do this is to use a sharp knife to cut off the top and bottom of the orange. Then, set it on one flat end and use the knife to slice down the orange, following the natural curve. Cut crosswise into thin slices and remove any seeds,
- Arrange the slices on a large serving platter. Place the onion slices on top. Scatter the oregano over the onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with the olive oil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.