Today’s delightful guest poster is Shelby of The Lives and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch, a fantastic blogger who I have followed for a long time and finally officially “met” through The Secret Recipe Club. The food blogging community is a tight-knit group even though most of us have never met one another. But put out the word that you need some help and people come running to your aide. Shelby is the perfect example of that generosity.
Shelby and I were both heavily influenced by our grandmothers and neither of us has many examples of their recipes or life stories. Shelby wants to have a record for her children and grandchildren, documenting her thoughts, activities, and the passions of her life. I know you will love getting to know Shelby and following her culinary journeys.
Without further ado, here is Shelby’s wonderful story, recipe and photos!!
When Jane announced she was looking for guest bloggers to help her out in April I knew I had to return her the favor. Jane, The Heritage Cook, blogged a gorgeous holidayPrime Rib Roast with Pan Gravypost for me while we were on our cruise to help me out, and it was truly appreciated.
Jane knows I love her Chocolate Monday’s post and when I responded that I would love to guest on her blog she asked me if I would be interested in doing a post for Chocolate Monday. Since I haven’t been doing a lot of baking I jumped on the chance to make something chocolate for her! At first, when Grumpy found out I was going to guest post on Chocolate, his comment was “You need to make something with white chocolate.” I am not a huge white chocolate fan at all. We couldn’t be any more night and day the two of us! He loves white chocolate while I prefer dark! So, I decided that I would find a way to please both of us.
I finally decided on these Triple Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Not only am I a fan of chocolate, but I am a fan of coffee! These cookies are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Kind of brownie like with the hit of espresso these are perfect to go with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of milk, whatever you prefer! These are triple chocolate because I used chocolate in the dough, semisweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips as stir-ins. This way Grumpy and I were both happy!
Thank you Jane for allowing me to share on your awesome blog this delicious cookie recipe!
- 6 oz bittersweet baking chocolate
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate-coated espresso beans (I use a mixture of dark and whitechocolate covered beans)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In heavy glass microwave safe bowl, melt the 6 oz of bittersweet chocolate and 2 tbsp of butter in 30-second intervals, stirringin-between to combine chocolate and butter. Within 1-1/2 minutes your chocolate butter mixture should be nice and smooth. Set aside.
- In a food processor (or coffee grinder) process chocolate coated espresso beans until finely ground. If you don't have a food processor or chocolate coated espresso beans, don't worry! You can always substitute 1 tbsp of your favorite instant coffee grounds or espresso powder.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and ground espresso beans in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together eggs, water, sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture until combined. Stir in melted chocolate and butter mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300°F for approximately 20 minutes. Cookies will look dry and crackly on top. Transfer cookies to cooling rack and cool for at least 5 to10 minutes before eating.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen large cookies