This Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole is the perfect way to start your day when the temperature dips and it will keep you filled up all morning long! Warming and packed with flavor, your family will love this potato topped breakfast casserole.
Our weather has been cold and very rainy here in Northern California and we are bundled up in every coat and sweater we own. To combat the cold, we are all craving warming, comforting meals.
I love casseroles because they are so easy to make. Combine the ingredients, pop them into a baking dish, and don’t worry about anything while it bakes. That gives me time to assemble the rest of breakfast and have everything on the table in no time.
This is the perfect way to kick off a weekend or brunch on a lazy Sunday morning. And the leftovers are good, just not quite as crispy, making this a good option for busy days. It is equally delicious for dinner and easy to put together on weeknights.
I only had mini tater tots on hand, so I used those. It took about 3/4 of a bag to cover the top of the casserole. If you use regular-size tater tots, it will likely take most of a bag of those as well.
I hope you give this Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole a try and enjoy it as much as The Artist and I did! Have a fabulous weekend!!
Since most prepared sausages contain gluten, using plain pork and seasoning it yourself creates a delicious and safe dish. But if you can find gluten-free raw sausages, you can use them in place of the bulk pork; take them out of their casings before cooking. They will add even more flavor to the dish.
Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole (Gluten Free)
- 1-1/2 lb ground pork or gluten-free bulk sausage
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups whole milk or half and half
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 lb frozen tater tots - Ore-Ida brand is gluten free
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a large skillet, cook the pork on medium high heat, breaking up clumps, until mostly cooked. Add the onions and both peppers and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper; continue to cook, stirring until pork is cooked through.
- Once the pork is cooked and the onions are translucent, use a slotted spoon to spread the meat over the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan, leaving as much of the fat behind as possible. Evenly sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over the top.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salt, and pepper. Once mixed, pour evenly over the cheese and sausage. Place the tater tots in rows over the top, each row touching the next.
- Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese, and bake another 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted, the casserole is bubbling, and the top is golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes, sprinkle with the parsley, cut into squares, and serve.
- Make Ahead: If not baking right away, cover tightly with foil and refrigerate up to overnight for baking the next day. Set out for 20 minutes before baking and your bake time may take a little longer.
Adapted from a recipe by Chew Out Loud
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1232Total Fat: 84gSaturated Fat: 37gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 358mgSodium: 1959mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 69g
Create a New Tradition Today!
I’m a breakfast fiend – This looks awesome, and I’m about to head to the grocery store to pick up the necessary ingredients!
How great! I hope you love it as much as we did!!