These Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies are a riff on a recipe from Elise Bauer of Simply Recipes. She is an amazing woman with the most intriguing recipes. You definitely want to visit her website – grab a cup of coffee, you will be captivated for hours!
Today’s cookies are stuffed with healthy oats that will fill up your little ones, with enough sweetness to satisfy their sweet tooth. They appeal to the adults in your home too. I love the pop of chocolate from the chips tucked in the dough. Like little presents in every bite.
Drop cookies are the easiest to make, just grab your trusty ice cream scoop (or disher) and you will have a pan of cookies formed in no time. I love the consistency of the cookies you get – all of them nearly exactly the same size every time.
Make these Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies and you will have the entire neighborhood knocking on your door asking for a sample! Happy Chocolate Monday!!
Key Ingredients for Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Gluten-free flour blend and xanthan gum if your GF flour blend doesn’t already contain it
- Salt, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter, eggs, vanilla
- Chocolate chips, chopped pecans, rolled oats
Do not use instant oats or steel cut oats for this recipe, you won’t get the results you are looking for.
How to make Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment
- Whisk together the dry ingredients
- Beat together the butter and both sugars until very smooth; add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy
- Stir in the flour mixture, add the water, then stir in the chocolate chips, pecans, and oats
- Bake 10 minutes, leave on the baking sheet 2 minutes, then cool on wire racks.
Recommended Tools (affiliate links; with no additional cost to you):
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Ice cream/cookie scoop
A simple swap of regular all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour blend gives you beautiful cookies that your gluten-free friends can safely eat and everyone will love! Some of my favorite commercial blends are Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1, King Arthur, and Pamela’s, or save money and make your own.
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free)
The perfect treat, enjoy these soul-satisfying Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies for Chocolate Monday!
- 1-1/2 cups (180 g) gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, only if your gluten-free flour blend does not contain gums
- 1 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks; 225 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats or quick oats
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add the brown and white sugars. Beat on medium high speed until smooth, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat for 3 more minutes on medium speed until smooth and light. Stir the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Mix in the water. Stir in the chocolate chips, pecans, and the oats.
- Use a 1 tbsp ice cream scoop to portion the cookies. Leave about 2-inches of space between each cookie, to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until they are just brown around the edges but still soft in the center. They will firm up as they cool. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the hot baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.
Based on a recipe from Simply Recipes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
If you love this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter |
Create a New Tradition Today!
This post was first shared in Mar 2018. The article was updated in 2020.