Do you ever have one of those days when everything is going sideways and the only solution is chocolate? That was me after last week. I was looking for a quick and easy recipe for Chocolate Monday. This Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cake in a Mug is exactly what the doctor ordered … 1 minute in the microwave = instant chocolate gratification!
Rich and satisfying, with the option to make it gluten-free and/or dairy-free, this is the perfect after school treat when your kids are clamoring for something because they are “starved”! You can literally have it made in about 15 minutes – including the time to gather the ingredients, whisk them together by hand, and cook in the microwave!
I found the original recipe on Hungry and Fussy, made just a few tiny adjustments, and immediately fell in love with this dessert! Because there are no eggs in the batter, you can easily under cook it slightly to give you a luscious molten fudgy center that is heavenly!
And bonus, you can make these gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and soy-free with little to no trouble. Or go whole hog and put in as many extra treats as you want! I kept it simple with just added mini chocolate chips in the batter and as garnish and it was the perfect quick pick-me-up.
After years of owning an immersion blender and never using the attachments that came with it, I pulled out the whisk, and used the stick blender to whip the cream. I couldn’t believe how powerful it was and it easily whipped up about 1/2 cup cream in no time. A little granulated sugar added as it whipped and I had the perfect topping to lighten the intensity of the chocolate cake.
If you aren’t sure your mugs are microwave safe, I suggest you double check to see if the mugs are safe to use. Be especially aware of any metallic decorations that could create problems for you.
Give these 1-Minute Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cakes a try the next time you need a quick hit of chocolate. Just be sure you let it stand a few minutes before diving in – especially if you left the center a little molten. We don’t want you to burn your tongue!
Have a fabulous Chocolate Monday and enjoy your upcoming New Year’s Eve celebrations!
How to make the Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cake in a Mug:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients; add the milk, butter, and vanilla and whisk to make a batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and pour into a microwave-safe mug
- Microwave for 45 to 70 seconds.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Let rest a few minutes then eat and enjoy!
Be sure the mug you use is microwave safe!
Can I make this dessert dairy-free?
Yes you can! With just a couple of substitutions this cake is safe for those with dairy issues. Use an alternate milk and coconut oil in place of the butter. And be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips like those from Enjoy Life.
Use a small deep bowl (about 1-quart capacity) to whip the cream – just be sure there is enough room for expansion as it whips to soft peaks!
Key Ingredients for this Recipe
- Gluten-free flour or regular all-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder and salt
- Milk, melted butter, and vanilla
- Chocolate chips
- Whipped cream and mint sprigs, for garnishing
Kitchen Tools I Use to Make This Recipe (affiliate links)
Any individual gluten-free flour works here like rice, sorghum, or millet, or you can use a GF flour blend. Whatever you have handy!
Cake in a Cup
- 3 tbsp (22.5 g) any gluten-free flour, such as rice, sorghum, millet, etc. or regular all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (37.5 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of kosher or fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.
- 1 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life for GF/DF/NF/SF chocolate chips)
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mint sprigs
In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, being sure there are no lumps left. Add the milk, butter, and vanilla and whisk to thoroughly combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a microwave-safe coffee mug, set it on a paper plate and microwave for 45 to 70 seconds*. Note: 45 seconds will give a more molten center, while 60 to 70 seconds will give you more cake-like texture.
Top with a dollop of whipped cream, sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips, tuck in a mint sprig, and serve.
* If you have a very powerful microwave, start on 50% power so you don't risk the cake spilling over the top of the mug. Cooking it on a plate helps protect your oven in case the cake overflows the mug.
Adapted from a recipe by Helen of Hungry and Fussy
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3369Total Fat: 144gSaturated Fat: 99gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 492gFiber: 28gSugar: 131gProtein: 61g
Nutritional calculations are not always accurate.
If you love this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Create a New Tradition Today!
First Published: 20 Mar 2017
Last Updated: 30 Dec 2019