This Creamy Basil Lemon Potato Salad is refreshing, packed with fresh, bright flavors, and totally satisfying. It is perfect for any BBQ or summertime party.
Potato salads are among my favorite side dishes, especially in the hot summer days and warm evenings. I love how easy they are to make, the fact that they can be served cool, and that we can make them ahead.
This version is similar to the classic salad, but doesn’t have pickles or much mayonnaise in the dressing. I’ve substituted mascarpone for part of the mayo because The Artist isn’t a huge fan. I’m happy to say he loved this salad!
The mascarpone adds richness and gives you a luscious dressing. If you can’t find it (look in your market’s cheese area) you can use more mayonnaise instead. Both will be delicious.
The Artist and I happen to love basil and the bunches we buy at the store are large, so I used a lot of it in this salad. You can use any herbs that you enjoy and have access to. I think thyme would be delicious with the potatoes. Mix and match to your heart’s content using the herbs you love the most.
With the mascarpone and mayonnaise in the dressing, you want to keep this salad chilled. It shouldn’t sit out in the heat for very long. If you need to have it out, spread it out in a shallow bowl inside of another bowl filled with ice to keep it cold. Better yet, keep it chilled until just before serving and immediately refrigerate the leftovers.
Why are red potatoes better for this salad?
They have less starch than either Russets or Yukon Golds and will hold together better when tossing the salad with less crumbling.
I only have Meyer lemons, are they OK for this recipe?
Yes, but because they are milder and sweeter than regular lemons, you may not need as much agave syrup to balance the flavors. Start with half the agave and add more if needed.
Key Ingredients for this Recipe
- Red potatoes
- Mascarpone cheese
- Rice vinegar (gluten-free) or apple cider vinegar
- Agave nectar or honey
- Green onions
Kitchen Tools I Use to Make This Recipe
Other Salad Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Pea, Potato, and Bacon Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette (Gluten Free)
- Corn, Tomato and Shallot Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- Chicken and Rice Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Spicy Sesame Vegetable Pasta Salad (Gluten Free)
- Chopped Salad with Homemade Ranch-Style Dressing (Gluten Free)
Enjoy today’s Creamy Basil Lemon Potato Salad. I hope it graces your dining table soon and often during the summer months! Have a wonderful weekend my friends!
The majority of the ingredients are naturally gluten-free, just beware of the rice vinegar you use; be sure it is gluten-free. You can also substitute apple cider or red wine vinegar in its place. I like Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar.
Creamy Basil Lemon Potato Salad (Gluten Free)
This Creamy Basil Lemon Potato Salad is refreshing, packed with fresh, bright flavors, and totally satisfying.
- 3 lb whole red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) mascarpone cheese (or mayonnaise)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar, gluten free variety if needed
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel, optional
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey, or to taste
- 2 to 3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Italian parsley
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cool water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and set aside to cool until you can comfortably handle them.
- While the potatoes are cooling, in a bowl whisk together the mascarpone, mayonnaise, lemon juice, vinegar, lemon zest, and agave until smooth. Add a pinch of salt and a little pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the top, add the vegetables, sprinkle evenly with the basil and parsley, and toss everything together until the ingredients are evenly distributed and well coated with the sauce. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator 30 minutes or make up to a day ahead. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 668mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
If you love this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
| Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter |
Create a New Tradition Today!