When I was a child, one of my favorite summertime treats were Orange Creamsicle pops. Vanilla ice cream covered with an orange layer made a refreshing and delicious treat on a hot day. Today’s Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits are a more elegant version of that childhood memory.
I dipped my spoon into the parfait, took a bite and was instantly 10 years old again, sharing secrets with my best friend Lynette, attending Mrs. Baxter’s class, playing hopscotch and wondering what the future held. Isn’t it amazing how powerful the sense of taste can be!
This is another edition of Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a progressive dinner party. This month’s theme is Frozen Treats – to celebrate summer. Our host this month is Ansh of Spiceroots. We have a great collection of cocktails and desserts featuring our frozen favorites. Make sure you check out the links below the recipe.
These Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits are cool, light, and refreshing, the perfect way to end any summertime supper. With the creamy vanilla ice cream and the bright orange mousse, this is definitely close to the Creamsicles of my youth.
While this looks like a sophisticated dessert fit for a special occasion or dinner party, it is so easy to make you can serve it for any meal. Thanks to using some prepared foods it comes together in a snap.
Make the mousse in the morning and it only takes a few minutes to assemble dessert after dinner. Frozen orange juice concentrate gives you the citrus flavors and color while marshmallow crème helps give the mousse loft and stability.
Don’t shy away from the sugar in the mousse – you need the sweetness to offset the tartness of the frozen orange juice concentrate. The sugar, orange juice, and whipped cream combine for a lovely creamy orange mixture that thickens a bit when you chill it.
I added some food coloring for the photos but if you didn’t it would be a lovely pale yellowish color, not quite orange. I used regular liquid colors (red and yellow) but gels would work well too and give you more control over the exact color you want.
I hope you enjoy these Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits, and take a trip back to a happier, simpler time – if only for a few minutes of respite.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comments and leave a star rating, I love hearing from you!
Ingredients needed for Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits:
- Heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, granulated sugar
- Orange juice concentrate, marshmallow cream, food coloring
- Vanilla ice cream, orange slices or mandarin orange segments
You can make the mousse a day ahead, cover and keep in the refrigerator. This lets you pull dessert together in no time any time you want!
How to make Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits:
- Whip the cream with confectioners’ sugar and vanilla to firm peaks. Set aside.
- Beat together the orange juice concentrate, sugar, and marshmallow fluff, until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of the whipped cream until there are no streaks. Add food coloring if desired.
- Pour the mousse into a large bowl and refrigerate until set. Can be made a day in advance. Stir before assembling the parfaits.
- To serve, put a spoonful of the mousse in the bottom of each serving dish (preferably glass so you can see the layers). Scoop some ice cream into each bowl and top with more of the mousse. Add more ice cream, mousse, and top with whipped cream. Garnish with orange slices or mandarin orange segments and serve immediately.
Having a second bowl for your stand mixer saves you so much time when you are making a recipe that calls for multiple uses of the machine. You don’t have to stop and clean the bowl between steps. It is an expenditure that pays for itself, especially during the holidays!
Recommended Tools (affiliate links; no extra cost to you):
This dessert is naturally gluten-free! All recommended ingredients are gluten-free as of the writing of this article. Always check to be sure the products haven’t changed and are still safe to consume.
- 2 cups (1 pint; 454g) cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Orange Creamsicle Mousse
- 1 cup (280g) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 1 (7 oz; 199g) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, from above
- Orange food coloring, optional but fun
- Vanilla ice cream
- Orange Creamsicle Mousse, from above
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, from above
- Orange slices or mandarin orange segments, for garnish
- Whip the Cream: In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the cream on low speed until foamy. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and continue whipping, increasing the speed to medium-high, until it reaches firm peaks. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Make the Mousse: In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the thawed frozen orange juice concentrate, granulated sugar, and marshmallow fluff. Beat until smooth. Fold in one cup (237ml) of the whipped cream and mix until just combined with no white streaks. If you want, add a few drops of orange food coloring and mix it in.
- Pour into a large bowl and refrigerate to set. Can be made a day in advance. Stir before assembling the parfaits.
- To Assemble: Put a spoonful of the mousse in the bottom of each serving dish (preferably glass so you can see the layers). Scoop some ice cream into each bowl and top with more of the mousse. Add more ice cream, mousse, and top with whipped cream. Number of layers is dependent on the size of your dish. Garnish with orange slices and serve immediately.
Recipe found at www.theheritagecook.com
This dessert is naturally gluten-free! All recommended ingredients are gluten-free as of the writing of this article.
Always check to be sure the products haven’t changed and are still safe to consume.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information for recipes on this site is calculated by online tools and is merely an estimate.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
This recipe is part of our monthly progressive dinner party, Progressive Eats. See the links below for more inspiration and great recipes!
Cocktails & Other Beverages
- Frozen Mudslide (dessert AND a drink: a twofer) from Susan – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sangria Slushie, from Karen – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cabernet Ice Cream with Chocolate Shards from Barb – Creative Culinary
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – from Coleen – The Redhead Baker
- Dulce De leche Mango Kulfi from Ansh – Spiceroots
- Grilled Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream and Honey Balsamic Drizzle – from Carol – From a Chef’s Kitchen
- Layered Ice Cream Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crust – from Liz – That Skinny Chic Can Bake
- Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits from Jane – The Heritage Cook (You are here)
Create a New Tradition Today!