When I was a child, one of my favorite summertime treats were Orange Creamsicle pops. Vanilla ice cream covered with an orange layer made a refreshing and delicious treat on hot day. Today’s Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits are a more elegant version of that childhood memory.
I dipped my spoon into the parfait, took a bite and was instantly 10 years old again, sharing secrets with my best friend Lynette, attending Mrs. Baxter’s class, and wondering what the future held. Isn’t it amazing how powerful the sense of taste can be!
This is another edition of Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a progressive dinner party. This month’s theme is Frozen Treats – to welcome the beautiful summer months. Our host this month is Ansh of Spiceroots. ( www.spiceroots.com) We have a great mix of cocktails and desserts featuring our frozen favorites. Make sure you check out the links below.
These Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits are cool, light, and refreshing, the perfect way to end any summertime supper. With the creamy vanilla ice cream and the bright orange mousse, this is definitely close to the creamsicles of my youth.
While this looks like a sophisticated dessert fit for a special occasion or dinner party, it is so easy to make you can serve it for any meal. Thanks to using some prepared foods it comes together in a snap. Make the mousse in the morning and it only takes a few minutes to assemble dessert after dinner. Frozen orange juice concentrate gives you the citrus flavors and color while marshmallow crème helps give the mousse loft and stability.
Don’t shy away from the sugar in the mousse – you need the sweetness to offset the tart of the frozen orange juice concentrate. The sugar, orange juice, and whipped cream combine for a lovely creamy orange mixture that thickens a bit when you chill it.
I added some food coloring for the photos but if you didn’t it would be a lovely pale yellowish color, not quite orange. I used regular liquid colors (red and yellow) but gels would work well too and give you more control over the exact color you want.
I hope you enjoy these Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits, and take a trip back to a happier, simpler time – if only for a few minutes of respite.
Jane’s Tips and Hints:
You can make the mousse a day ahead, cover and keep in the refrigerator. This lets you pull dessert together in no time any time you want!
This dessert is naturally gluten-free!
- Whipped Cream
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Creamsicle Mousse
- 1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, from above
- Orange food coloring, optional but fun
- Vanilla ice cream
- Creamsicle Mousse, from above
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream, from above
- Orange slices or mandarin orange segments, for garnish
- Whip the Cream: In the bowl of your stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the cream on low speed until foamy. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and continue whipping, increasing the speed to medium, until it reaches firm peaks.
- Make the Mousse: In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the thawed frozen orange juice concentrate, granulated sugar, and marshmallow fluff. Beat until smooth. Add 1 cup of the whipped cream and mix until just combined with no white streaks. If you want, add a few drops of orange food coloring and mix it in.
- Pour into a large bowl and refrigerate to set. Can be made a day in advance. Stir before assembling the parfaits.
- To Serve: Put a spoonful of the mousse in the bottom of each serving bowl (preferably glass so you can see the layers). Scoop some ice cream into each bowl and top with more of the mousse. Add more ice cream, mousse, and top with whipped cream. Garnish with orange slices and serve immediately.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
This recipe is part of our monthly progressive dinner party, Progressive Eats. See the links below for more inspiration and great recipes!
Cocktails & Other Beverages
- Frozen Mudslide (dessert AND a drink: a twofer) from Susan – The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sangria Slushie, from Karen – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cabernet Ice Cream with Chocolate Shards from Barb – Creative Culinary
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – from Coleen – The Redhead Baker
- Dulce De leche Mango Kulfi from Ansh – Spiceroots
- Grilled Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream and Honey Balsamic Drizzle – from Carol – From a Chef’s Kitchen
- Layered Ice Cream Pie with Chocolate Cookie Crust – from Liz – That Skinny Chic Can Bake
- Orange Creamsicle Mousse Parfaits from Jane – The Heritage Cook
To see our upcoming themes and how you can participate, please check out the schedule at Creative Culinary or contact Barb for more information.
Create a New Tradition Today!
I haven’t had a creamsicle in years! Brings back so many memories and this looks sooo good! This is a must-make this summer!
Aren’t they fun Carol! I hope you have a wonderful summer filled with cool treats like these parfaits!
These are genius! Some of my favorite memories are of buying creamsicles from the ice cream truck every summer. I can’t wait to try this.
Thanks so much Karen – I love the memories they evoke in everyone! Enjoy!!
Jenni Field (@PastryChfOnline)
Oh, yes please! Pinned this bad boy! 🙂
I hope you love it Jenni!! <3
Orange creamsicle brings in memories of all things fabulous! LOVE this idea.
Thanks Anshie, this was a really fun recipe for us too!
This looks irresistible! The color of the orange mousse is gorgeous!!!!!
Isn’t it fun Susan, just like the treats we used to have as kids!
We’re in the midst of a heat wave and your creamsicle parfaits would hit the spot! Love the sound of your orange mousse….mmmmmm.
I hope these parfaits help cool you down Liz, thanks for your kind words!