This week I made The Artist and myself a wonderful, comforting casserole, perfect for these cold rainy days. This Southwestern Pork, Chiles and Potato Casserole is packed with bold flavors that will wake up your taste buds and keep you warm on these cold days.
Earlier in the week I made Chile Verde in the Instant Pot and it was delicious, but way too much for the two of us to eat it all in one sitting. So I used the leftovers in today’s recipe. It was a great way to repurpose one meal and create something totally different that everyone loved.
You can use the Instant Pot Green Chile Pork Tacos recipe to make the pork for this recipe or use any leftover pork (or other protein) you have handy. It would be equally delicious with cooked chicken, turkey, or ham.
I love dinners that come together quickly, that I can pop in the oven and forget about while it cooks. It gives me time to pull together a salad or other side dish and figure out what I’m serving for dessert!
Frozen potatoes are one of my go-to ingredients to speed up the cooking process. They are filling and provide a neutral base to start with. You can take the flavors of this meal in any direction you like … change up the seasonings and add different vegetables to suit your family’s tastes. You can be eating Italian, Indian, or Peruvian with just a few adjustments!
I hope you enjoy today’s Southwestern Pork, Chiles and Potato Casserole. It is going to be in our regular rotation of easy-to-make meals for those nights when I can’t figure out what to make for dinner!
Be sure the frozen potatoes you use are gluten-free. Most of the Ore-Ida brand are gluten free and they are well marked to make it easy to pick the safe varieties. I keep a bag in the freezer for nights when I’m rushing to get dinner on the table.
- 3 cups half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (for mild) or chipotle powder (for more heat)
- 1 package (2 lb) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (gluten-free)
- 3 cups cooked and chopped pork, chicken, turkey, or ham
- 2-1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- Chopped fresh cilantro or green onions, optional
- Avocado slices, for garnish, optional
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the half-and-half, onions, bell peppers, chiles, salt, and pepper. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Stir in the frozen potatoes, chopped meat, and 1-1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Return to the oven for a few minutes to soften the cheese before scooping portions into bowls, sprinkling the tops with cilantro or green onions and avocado if using. Serve hot.
Original recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-chiles-casserole/
Create a New Tradition Today!