Coffee cake is a favorite treat to begin the day, but sometimes I don’t have the time to wait for it to bake. These White Chocolate Coffee Cake Muffins have all the flavors of streusel coffee cake, are quick to bake, and easy to eat!
I loved every bite of these muffins. With a ribbon of streusel running through the center of each one, you are guaranteed rich flavor and texture in every bite.
These muffins are adapted from the uber-talented Toni of Boulder Locavore. Her version has a beautiful orange glaze that would also be delicious. You should hop over and check out her blog – she has oodles of amazing recipes that you will love!
I love using sour cream in my baking. It adds a lushness that is alluring. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use milk with a little vinegar stirred in to sour and thicken it.
These lightly sweet muffins would be perfect for breakfast or brunch, an after school snack, or even dessert. I decided not to use the glaze and we didn’t miss it at all. They are perfect with or without the glaze!
If you are planning on transporting these muffins (or any muffins/cupcakes), having a muffin tin with a lid makes it easy. I use mine for storing the muffins too – a double usage bonus!
I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your long weekend. Did you go out of town or stay home? The Artist and I stayed tucked in our home, dodging the storms that continue to drench California and cover the Sierras with massive quantities of snow. These White Chocolate Coffee Cake Muffins were the perfect way to enjoy our breakfast on Sunday.
Happy Chocolate Monday!
Jane’s Tips and Hints:
Using an ice cream scoop helps you make these quickly and cleanly. I used my 1-tablespoon scoop and had these done and in the oven in no time!
All you need is an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, also known as a cup-for-cup style of gf flour. There are many blends out there if you don’t want to make your own. I like Bob’s Red Mill’s 1-to-1, Pamela’s, and Authentic Foods blends.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups (180g) gluten-free flour blend or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 tsp baking powder (from 2 tsp)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda (from 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk (from 3/4 cup milk & no sour cream)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin pan with liners.
- Prepare the Streusel: In a small mixing bowl combine the streusel ingredients. Set aside.
- Make the Muffins: In a large mixing bowl combine the gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In another large mixing bowl whisk together the egg, milk, and oil. Whisk in the vanilla until the mixture is thoroughly blended. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking together just until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the batter into each muffin liner. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the streusel on top followed by 1 more tablespoon of the batter. Finish with a teaspoon of the streusel on top.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Leave the muffins in the pan for about 15 minutes then move them to a cooling rack set over a sheet of parchment or foil. Cool completely before glazing.
- Make and Drizzle the Glaze (optional): In a small bowl mix together all the glaze ingredients. Take a small spoon of glaze and drizzle in a zig zag design on the top of each muffin. Allow the glaze to firm up for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from a recipe by Toni of Boulder Locavore
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 231mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 23g Protein: 5g
Create a New Tradition Today!