Today we are helping Heather celebrate her 6th Blogiversary at Hezzi D’s with an awesome Giveaway for you! We have two great prizes for you to WIN. We are giving away a KitchenAid 5-quart Artisan Mixer in your choice of colors and a great collection of cookbooks that will keep you busy in the kitchen all year long. How awesome is that? Don’t wait, this giveaway is only open for 2 weeks so enter TODAY!
With the heat of summer in full swing, I thought it would be fun to share a recipe that both the adults and kids can enjoy at parties, a riff on the famous treat created by New York’s Serendipity. Trust me, you want to make these NOW!! 🙂
Their frozen hot chocolate is a childhood favorite of native New Yorkers and visitors alike. The refreshing, icy, chocolatey, frozen concoction is the perfect antidote to steamy, humid summer days. I love that you don’t have to worry about getting all the ice chopped to perfection – just enough to give you chunky pieces. Just be sure to blend the chocolate blend long enough to fully dissolve the cocoa powder!
You can make an adult version of this frozen hot chocolate with vodka – very refreshing and indulgent on hot days – or use half and half for a non-alcoholic version. They are both delicious and popular with everyone in your crowd. If you want a dairy-free version, you can use coconut milk or evaporated coconut milk (see links in the recipe). You can easily make up both versions, just be sure they are well marked to indicate which is the boozy version!
I love that you can get this mostly made ahead and have it ready for a quick spin in the blender before serving. Anything that gives me less to do on the day of a party is a great thing! Just be sure to blend the chocolate mixture long enough to be sure the cocoa is fully dissolved. This takes longer than normal because when adding to a cold liquid, it is harder for ingredients to “melt” and become smooth.
Having never had the opportunity to actually have this legendary treat while in New York, I went to the web to find an image to share with you of the “real thing” and found this great shot from Kevin and Amanda. Amanda and her friends did a whirlwind bakery tour one afternoon and finished up at Serendipity on East 60th Street. In her words, even after a day filled with some of the best sweets in the country, they still thoroughly enjoyed this unique frozen hot chocolate and finished every drop! Be sure to pop over to their site when you have a minute – you will LOVE them!
Serendipity serves their frozen hot chocolate in a large footed bowl with two or more straws to make it easy to share between friends! I decided to make mine more portable and single servings, but you can make them any way you like!
Now, let’s get to the giveaway and help you Win a brand new KitchenAid Mixer and the cookbooks! Scroll down below the recipe to the box from Rafflecopter. Sign in and follow the prompts. Every action completed gives you another chance to win; the more entries you have, the higher the chance you could be selected as our winner.
I hope one of my readers wins! Please enter today so you don’t forget and get in the running!
Here are the other very talented bloggers that made this giveaway possible!
Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks ~~ Pint Sized Baker ~~ Nik Snacks ~~ Confessions of a Cooking Diva ~~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings ~~ Platings and Pairings ~~ Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online ~~ Brunch-n-Bites ~~ Fearlessly Creative Mammas ~~ The Heritage Cook
Jane’s Tips and Hints:
Be sure you have a powerful blender to make these.
As always, watch the labels to be sure there is no hidden gluten.
- Cold Hot Chocolate
- 1-3/4 cups half and half *
- 1/4 cup vodka, such as Chopin brand that is gluten-free or 2 cups total (1-3/4 + 1/4) half & half for non-alcoholic version *
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or pure extract
- 3 cups crushed ice
- Optional Garnishes
- Chocolate syrup (gluten-free if needed)
- Whipped cream
- Make the Frozen Hot Chocolate: In the container of a large, heavy-duty blender, combine the half and half, vodka* (if using), cocoa, sugar, chocolate syrup, and vanilla. Pulse to blend the mixture, scraping down the sides occasionally. Add the crushed ice to the blender and blend on High until just combined and fairly smooth. This is supposed to be a little crunchy with bits of ice in it, not thick and creamy like a milkshake.
- To Serve: Pour a little chocolate syrup around the inside of 2 chilled tall glasses or soda fountain glasses. Garnish with freshly whipped sweetened cream and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup if desired. Tuck a fresh mint sprig on one side and serve immediately with a straw or spoon (to get every last drop).
- *This amount of vodka is the equivalent of 1 jigger per glass. You can reduce this or leave it out if you prefer.
- Yield: 1 to 2 servings
- NOTE: The base mixture (everything except the ice, whipped cream and chocolate syrup) can be made in advance and held a couple of days in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, add the ice, blend together, pour into glasses, garnish and serve immediately.
- * For a dairy-free version, substitute evaporated coconut milk or well-shaken coconut milk.
- Lemon Lavender Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- No-Churn Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake from Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Coconut Dream Cookies from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- Salty Dog with Fennel and Rosemary from Platings and Pairings
- Easy Strawberry Lattice Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from The Heritage Cook
- Boozy Blackberry Beer Cocktail from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- White Chocolate Banana Hoecake from Nik Snacks
- Chocolate Banana Naked Cake from Brunch-n-Bites
This giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. The giveaway begins on 8/1/16 at 12:00am EST and goes through 8/14/16 at 11:59pmEST. Approximate retail value for the mixer is $350. Approximate retail value for the cookbooks is $90. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. The winner will be selected and e-mailed within 5 days of the end of the giveaway. Winner has 48 hours to respond to the e-mail or another winner will be chosen. The sponsors will not be held liable for any malfunction or damage of the products received.
Create a New Tradition Today!
Let’s connect! If you ever need any entertaining or cooking advice, need to alter a recipe for gluten-free, or want recipe suggestions, don’t hesitate to email me. Feel free to quote me, just give credit where credit is due, link to the recipe, and send people to my website. Unauthorized use, distribution, and/or duplication of proprietary material from The Heritage Cook without prior approval is prohibited. This includes copying and reprinting content and photographs. If you have any questions or would like permission, I can be contacted here.
The suggestions here are not intended as dietary advice or as a substitute for consulting a dietician, physician, or other medical professional. It is the reader’s sole responsibility to determine which foods are appropriate and safe for their family to consume. The author makes no claims regarding the presence of food allergens and disclaims all liability in connection with the use of this site. Please see the Disclaimers page for additional details.
Thanks for joining the Heritage Cook Family!