Today’s Guest Post is from the extremely talented Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. In addition to her plethora of recipes that will have you drooling, you really must check out her section of tips and ideas. If you have ever wondered how to organize your recipes, understanding how to put together a menu, or managing a crazy household, there is something here for you.
These cupcakes are something that you can whip out in no time with ingredients you have in your pantry. I love having recipes like this that I can make when unexpected guests drop by, I forgot to make a dessert for a family dinner, or need something to take to a sick friend. Thank you Kristen for helping me out today and for sharing this wonderful recipe with all of us!
Hi, I am Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. I am so happy to be able to guest here at The Heritage Cook. I started blogging for very much the same reasons as Jane. I wanted to preserve my family’s favorite recipes, including a few precious ones that belonged to two of my great grandmothers. Along the way, I started recording family stories, too, in a series called Saturday Stories. As the years passed, I have included many other kitchen adventures, too.
Today, in honor of Chocolate Monday, I made Subtly Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella Cream Cheese Icing. With five children, there is always one who doesn’t want what I have made, whether it’s the shrimp in the scampi or the pumpkin in the pancakes. Some days, when one pipes up that they don’t want chocolate, I swear they are doing it just to be ornery.
These cupcakes have a yellow cake base with chocolate pudding added for an extremely subtle chocolate flavor. (Light enough to sneak by the grumpiest of teenagers.) The color did not turn the usual deep brown one would expect in a chocolate cupcake. However, they are moist and delicious. The real chocolate flavor is in the icing. I used Nutella in combination with cream cheese for an easy and tasty topping.
Thank you for letting me visit with you today. Doing a guest blog post is like escaping for a ladies’ night out, only I don’t come home to find the house is a mess!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.5 oz) package instant chocolate pudding
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- Nutella Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup Nutella hazelnut chocolate spread
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Make Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake tins with paper liners or grease with butter.
- Combine all cupcake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat ingredients until smooth.
- Divide batter into 24 prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Remove from oven, cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes, transfer cupcakes from tins to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Make Icing: Beat the cream cheese, Nutella and vanilla until smooth. At a lower speed, add the powdered sugar, increasing the speed as the sugar combined with the Nutella mixture. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
Unauthorized use, distribution, and/or duplication of proprietary material without prior approval is prohibited. If you have any questions or would like permission, I can be contacted via email: theheritagecook (at) comcast (dot) net. Feel free to quote me, just give credit where credit is due, link to the recipe, and please send people to my website, www.theheritagecook.com.