I love chocolate chip cookies and Nutella so putting them together in these Nutella Sandwich Cookies was a no-brainer. Take your ordinary chocolate chip cookies and elevate them with Nutella. Crunchy cookies with the creamy, nutty Nutella, these are a chocoholic’s dream cookie! Just what we need on these long days at home while we wait for vaccines and to get to do more of our normal activities again.
I made this recipe small on purpose so we didn’t have too many cookies left to be eaten after the photo shoot. But you can easily double it. These Nutella Sandwich Cookies are quite rich and very satisfying. You might get away with having just one! Nah, LOL.
These cookies are super simple to make and would be a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. No knives to worry about, math lessons during measuring ingredients and portioning the dough, and the chance to learn how to safely use a mixer. Be sure to supervise the baking so no one gets burned by accident!
Nutella is a chocolate-hazelnut spread that came to us from Europe and has become a popular treat your children will be begging you for. It is high in sugar so you may want to think about making your own from scratch where you can control the ingredients. If you have a blender, here is a great recipe from Leite’s Culinaria!
The next time you need some chocolate, I hope you give these Nutella Sandwich Cookies a try. They will help cure the most powerful cravings!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comments, I love hearing from you! Happy Chocolate Monday!
Key Ingredients for Nutella Sandwich Cookies:
- All-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- Salt, baking soda, butter (at room temperature)
- Brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla
- Egg, semisweet chocolate chips, Nutella
Pre-measuring your ingredients not only helps you be ready when the recipe tells you to add them, it also makes sure you have all the ingredients available at home. It gives you a chance to make a quick run to the store if you are missing anything before you get started!
How to make Nutella Sandwich Cookies:
- Cream the butter with the brown and white sugars; mix in the vanilla and egg
- Mix together the dry ingredients and add half to the butter/sugar mixture, beating until combined; add remaining dry ingredients and mix them in
- Stir in the chocolate chips and use a scoop to portion the dough into 16 balls; bake at 375°F about 10 minutes until golden brown
- Cool on wire racks thoroughly; when cool match similar sized cookies
- Spread Nutella on the bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie, flat-side down creating a sandwich; repeat with remaining cookies and enjoy
Recommended Tools (affiliate links; no extra cost to you):
Have you ever used an offset spatula? They are wonderful and a must-have in professional kitchens. The bend in the blade helps keep your knuckles out of the frosting or anything you are spreading. They are inexpensive and I have several so I don’t have to do dishes constantly.
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (1 stick + 2 tbsp / 140 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat the butter and both sugars together at medium speed, until smooth and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and add the vanilla and egg. When smooth, turn the mixer off.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the sugar/butter mixture and beat slowly until incorporated. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix on low until fully blended and there are no streaks. Add the chocolate chips and mix just until they are evenly distributed in the dough. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Keep dough in the refrigerator when not in use.
- Use a spring-loaded scoop and drop walnut-sized balls of the dough on one of the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Load the second baking sheet while the first one is baking.
- Remove cookies from the oven and leave the cookies on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes to firm up. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If they are even a little warm, the Nutella will melt and make a mess.
- When cooled, pair up cookies that are close in size and spread the bottom of one with Nutella and press the second cookie on top, flat-side down to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Create a New Tradition Today!