I was craving molasses cookies and I went looking for a cupcake with a similar flavor. I found this recipe on the BettyCrocker.com website and I have lovely Spice Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting to share with you today!
I love these cupcakes. So rich and full of molasses and spices. With all the challenges we are facing these days, I wanted warm spices to bring sunshine to your day!
The best supporting character in today’s dessert is definitely the frosting, a beautiful combination of butter and cream cheese with white chocolate to make the perfect foil for the spice cupcakes. Sweet with a touch of tartness from the cream cheese for balance, this is a truly lovely topping for any of your cakes or cupcakes. You will have more than you need for these cupcakes, so bake up a batch of cookies and frost them too!
Sometimes you want a fancy dessert for a special event, and sometimes you choose more casual fare. Today’s spice cupcakes are definitely homey and comforting. No piping here, I used a mini offset spatula to spread the delicious frosting, swirling it into fun shapes. Super easy and fast!
Make these Spice Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting when you want a treat to sweeten your day. Happy Chocolate Monday!
Key Ingredients for Spice Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting:
- Sugar, butter, molasses
- Eggs, flour (or gluten-free flour blend), baking soda, salt
- Ginger, cinnamon, allspice
- Cream cheese, vanilla, white chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar, milk
When you are measuring sticky substances like honey or the molasses in this recipe, spray the measuring cup with baking spray first and the molasses will slide right out. Be sure to use a spray without flour added if you are gluten-free.
How to make Spice Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting:
- Beat the sugar, butter, molasses, and eggs until well blended
- Spoon in the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and allspice; add the water and mix well
- Scoop into lined muffin tins and bake 15 to 18 minutes; cool in pan a few minutes then transfer to cooling racks and cool completely
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over simmering water, stirring often; set aside to cool slightly
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, lemon peel and vanilla then mix in the melted white chocolate beating until light and fluffy
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, mixing until smooth; increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy
- Add milk if needed for a good spreading consistency; spread a generous amount of frosting on each cupcake
Recommended Tools (affiliate links; with no cost to you):
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 8 tbsp) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (240 g) flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 oz, 226 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 113 g) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz (226 g) white chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar, or as needed
- 1 to 2 tsp milk, or as needed
- Cinnamon, for garnishing if desired
- Make the Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place paper liners in 18 muffin cups. Add 1 tbsp water to each empty muffin cup.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the sugar, butter, molasses and eggs on medium speed until well blended. Stir in the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and water. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the Frosting: Place an inch or two of water into a medium saucepan and find a heatproof bowl that sits snugly in the pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (there will be steam rising from the surface and small bubbles around the edges). Place the white chocolate in the bowl and set over the steaming water.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low to hold the water at a low simmer. Stir the white chocolate often to guarantee it doesn't scorch. When most of the chocolate is melted, carefully remove the bowl from the pan - be careful to not get any water in the chocolate or it will seize. Stir until all the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Set aside and stir occasionally as you whip the cream cheese and butter together.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla on low speed until smooth. Be sure there are no lumps in the mixture. Beat in the melted white chocolate. Increase the speed to medium and mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar on low speed until smooth. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy. Add milk, 1 tsp at a time, if needed, until you get a good spreading consistency.
- Spread a generous amount of frosting on the top of each cupcake and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon if desired. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Adapted from BettyCrocker.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g
If you love this recipe, be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post:
Create a New Tradition Today!
This post was first shared in March 2018. The article was updated in 2020.