These White Chocolate Sugar Cookie Squares are a real treat, almost like a brownie in texture with all the flavor of your favorite sugar cookies. Your kids are going to love these!
These are similar to soft sugar cookies, crunchy on the edges and delicate in the center with all the delicious vanilla flavor we know and love, boosted by the melted white chocolate and lemon zest.
It is hard to believe that just 9 ingredients can create something so satisfying and fun. If you have kids, break out the sprinkles and go to town!
Recipes don’t get much simpler than this one. I used my mixer because it is always on my counter ready to go, but if you want you can make these totally by hand using a bowl and a spoon!
When melting any chocolate in the microwave, it will continue to hold its shape even when the centers are melted. Stir occasionally to judge how much more time you may need and always pull the bowl out of the microwave when there are still some small pieces of chocolate un-melted. This will make sure you don’t scorch the chocolate by mistake. As you stir, any remaining solids will finish melting in the residual heat.
This cookie dough is more like a batter, very soft and pourable. Don’t be tempted to add more flour!
To make these easy to remove from the baking pan, make yourself a sling with parchment paper. Line the pan, leaving two opposite ends long and extending beyond the edges of the pan. You can use those longer ends to easily lift the entire block onto a cutting board.
If you like making bar cookies often, you might want to invest in a long, slender knife like the carving knife I have. It makes cutting squares and rectangles really easy.
I hope you enjoy today’s White Chocolate Sugar Cookie Squares. The Artist couldn’t wait to inhale his!! Have a wonderful holiday!
Use an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend of your choice. I like to keep a bucket of my blend on the counter so I always am ready whenever the baking urge hits me LOL.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 113g) butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup (6 oz; 150g) white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1-1/2 to 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest, about 1 large lemon
- 1-1/4 cups (150g) all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (only if using a gluten-free flour blend without it)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Line with a sheet of parchment, leaving two opposite ends hanging over the edge to create a sling. Set aside.
- In a heatproof, microwave safe bowl, melt the butter with the white chocolate pieces, heating in 30 second bursts until the chocolate is mostly melted, stirring occasionally. Stir until smooth and completely melted. Transfer to the bowl of your mixer.
- Add the sugar to the butter mixture and beat until thoroughly combined. Let the mixer run a few minutes to cool the butter enough that you won't scramble the eggs when you add them. Add the salt, vanilla, and eggs, beating until smooth. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and xanthan (if using), mixing again until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set the pan on a wire rack and cool completely before using the sling to lift the cookies onto a cutting board and slicing into squares.
Original recipe on "Back for Seconds" blog
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 57mg Sodium: 268mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 19g Protein: 5g
Create a New Tradition Today!